Monday, November 09, 2009

Three Weeks....

They say it takes three weeks to form a habit...three weeks to get into a routine...three weeks of doing something on a regular basis to really have it become a part of your day to day living. Yesterday marked three weeks since I began running again. At first, I was a bit skeptical. I had begun again last summer, but my knee really started to act up so I didn't make it very long, at all.

But, alas, my wonderful husband has been diligently running this summer, and inspiring me (better late than never, right? :) He wanted to run The Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning...a 5K that raises money for the local food bank and takes place in our town. I thought about it, and decided that I, too, would trot along...I needed a goal, something to aspire to! So, three weeks ago yesterday, I went to a little shop downtown that specializes in running shoes. Spent a lot of time in there, trying to find the perfect pair (and ended up with a pair of Mizunos, which I love :), got some new running attire at Target, and got back in the saddle again!

Sooooo, it's been three weeks of running five days a week. I've increased my stamina to 3 1/2 miles, and it feels soooo good. I've missed the burn, and the feeling of satisfaction I get when I break a sweat, stay focused, and actually make it all the way up that hill without stopping to catch my breath!!! I have great ideas, now...I want to run a half marathon next summer!!! I know it's a lofty goal, and I don't do too well running in the cold, so it will be hard to train this winter (of course we got rid of our treadmill last year...ugh!) But, it is another goal, and we'll see how it goes!!! The good thing is, unlike my lovely husband, I am soooo not competitive, so any goal I have is just for myself. I have no time in mind, no records I want to break, I just want to keep up this habit...it's such an awesome time to de-stress, think, and pray!!!

Of course, I haven't lost a pound, but that might be due to having this dang Halloween candy around! :)

10 comments:

I heart said...

Keep it up!! I love running although I'm in a bit of a slump right now and can't seem to get motivated. Maybe all the snacking around Christmas will get me going!

These are the Days! said...

Wish you lived closer--I always love someone to keep me motivated (and not my husband...he's way too fast for me :)

Jessica Ryan said...

you go girl!!! I get winded walking to the fridge and back ;)

These are the Days! said...

Ha!!! ;) Well, you're still a darn hot mama in those size 4's so I wouldn't worry too much!!! :)

Hannah said...

You can do it, Liz!! Hal Higdon has a great training plan for a novice half-marathoner that you can totally do. It is what I used for my half last month. You can find it on his site: www.halhigdon.com. Good luck!

These are the Days! said...

Yay!!! Thanks, Hannah! ;) I've been getting over a bug, so I fell off the wagon for a few days..whoops...back in the saddle tomorrow!!! ;)

Margaret said...

liz, you rock!!! i don't think i could run if somebody was chasing me with a gun!! keep up the good work!!!

These are the Days! said...

Margaret....you have me serioulsy lol right now! ;) Ha!

Shaney Lynde said...

I was thinking of running the Turkey Trot too. I want to run the 1/2 in May. I am not a cold weather girl and the Columbus Marathon is in October.

Good luck and keep it up!!

Marie said...

good for you! I have tried running but have never been able to get into it. I wish I could...it'd cut my workout time in half. LOL! hmmm...that's probably the wrong attitude. :)