Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Happy Anniversary!!!


Nearly eight years ago, Tommy and I said our "I-do's" on a bright, sunny, 50 degree day, that made conditions perfect for taking pictures outdoors! I wore a strapless dress, and was so warm due to the brilliant sunshine, blue skies, happiness and adrenaline, that I was able to get all of my outdoor shots without wearing a cape around my shoulders! My poor bridesmaides must not have been quite as high on adrenaline, as I do believe they froze in their strapless gowns, taking pictures outside the church with bare shoulders and arms! ;)

Our wedding was perfection, aside from the groomsmen (and women) dropping like flies with various illnesses...Tommy's one and only sister was so excited to be his best (wo)man, and was over-taken by the flu during our rehearsal dinner. God bless her, she made it to the wedding, flu and all, but was in no shape or condition to walk down the isle...I can't believe looking back, that she made it at all--unable to keep anything down! Poor thing! Thankfully her husband stepped in as a groomsmen!
One of the problems with holding a winter wedding, and flying people in from all over the country, is the germs that come with them...especially on planes! Tommy's poor eldest brother (who had graciously stepped in as his best man) made it through half of the ceremony, until, over-taken by strep throat and the overwhelming urge to faint, had to step down and sit out the rest....meaning Tommy's next brother stepped in as the best man, and was forced to write a speech on the way over to the reception--which was actually very well-written and poignant!

But, other than all of the illness in Tommy's poor family, our wedding was perfect--a dream come true! :) Eight years ago on February 23rd we promised to love each other, respect each other, be true to each other, in sickness and in health, through thick and thin, kids and tantrums, puppy training, potty training, breastfeeding, no sleep, times when the money is flowing, and when it comes to a complete hault, grumpy times, and happy times, through moves, new jobs, lost jobs, births, and deaths, new wrinkles, balding heads, and graying hair (all due to the two who joined us since our wedding ;)...we've seen a lot in eight short years. And though at some points I'm sure we've re-neged a bit on our promise to respect, I know that we have never stopped loving. And that promise remains true today, tomorrow, and always! (And the respect thing--well, that's always a work in progress, and has gotten a lot better over the years! ;)

In order to celebrate eight years together, we are going away tomorrow night. A beautiful Scottish Inn amidst a hundred acres of hiking trails in the middle of the snowiest winter we may have ever seen, awaits us. A six course meal, and a beautiful room looking over the woods...and, no kiddos! For 24 hours....bliss! ;) We are very excited, and although our time away will be short, it will be worth every second, I am sure! Happy anniversary my love...looking forward to an eternity together with you!

xoxoxoxo!

7 comments:

Jessica Ryan said...

Happy Anniversary Liz! I hope you have a wonderful and relaxing time away from the kiddos! I adore your your wedding picture, It is simply spectacular!

I heart said...

Nice!! Hope you have a great time! Your picture looks like it should be in a magazine!!

These are the Days! said...

You are too sweet...the pic is a pic of a pic!!! Ha! Maybe the blurry/fuzziness is helping the overall look! ;)
Connor and I are both not feeling the greatest today, so I'm just hoping we're both better tomorrow!

Angela said...

Happy Anniversary! That's so sweet! I totally agree, your picture definitely belongs in a magazine. I hope you have a fantastic time! You deserve it!

megan said...

congrats Liz and Tommy!!! Gosh, it does not seem like that beautiful wedding was 8 years ago! I'll never forget how excited and happy you looked. I remember you were kind of bouncing your hands up and down while holding tommy's because you were so excited. :) It was very sweet. Hope you had a lovely night away!!

Marie said...

Happy Anniversary Liz! Have a wonderful time!

Alison B said...

Congrats Liz! You guys are so cute and a great couple.